RS 485 Communication module.
The serial communication modules are plug-in expansion modules for use in the ZX series intelligent multi-protocol fi re alarm control panels. These optional modules add optically isolated communication
ports to the ZX series control panels to allow serial communications for networking and peripherals. Two types of serial communication protocols are available with the ZX series control panels:
• RS485 Communication protocol
• RS232 Communication protocol
The RS485 communication module supports two-wire RS485 multidrop transmission between networked ZX2Se/ZXSe/ZX5Se control panels, between ZX series control panels and repeaters or between ZX
series control panels and serial peripheral devices. Using a shielded twistedpair cable with a cross sectional area of minimum 0.5 mm2 (24 AWG), the RS485 module will support cable/bus lengths of 1,200
meters (3937 ft) per channel.
When used to drive a peripheral bus the RS485 module can support remote I/O devices such as:
• Active and passive repeaters
• External printers
• 4-way programmable relay and sounder cards
• 8-way input cards
• 40-way mimic driver cards
• Modbus and pager interface modules
The RS485 communication module can also be used in conjunction with the Hi-485 conversion module for systems requiring a “High Integrity” loop for network communications. The Hi-485 nodes are able to detect
and isolate transmission line faults such as short and open circuits on the network wiring.
The Hi-485 modules also act as signal repeaters/boosters, which enable “High Integrity” loops of up to 12 km (39,370 ft) to be constructed.
The RS232 communication module supports a single point-to-point communication between ZX series panels. The panels can also be installed remotely if a suitable modem and leased or private line are used.
- Compatible with ZX series multi protocol intelligent fi re alarm control panels
- Easy plug-in type connection
- RS232 and RS485 options
- Hi-485 High-integrity option for critical applications
- Class-A or Class-B networking capability
- Peripheral bus for remote I/O devices (RS485)
- Leased line modem link (RS232)
- Third-party graphic front-end interfacing